The laboratory's main purpose is to understand as the innate immune system recognizes pathogens through surface receptors - basically CLRs or C-type lectins and galectins-expressed mainly in macrophages and dendritic cells. In the past year we have developed a system of study that includes the full complement of glycan recognition proteins (human and murine) immobilized microarray format that will allow us to get a snapshot of how a particular pathogen is "seen" by the immune system. The results of studies using this predictive system may provide clues as to bias the immune response generated against a particular pathogen. A second objective is to define routes signaling / transduction induced in antigen presenting cells by the interaction of C-type lectins and galectinshaptens with their glycans. Knowing the nature of these pathways is essential for the identification of pathogen molecules that may act as regulators / immune modulators and hence serve as potential therapeutic targets for development of novel treatments. Thirdly, is proposed to define the mechanisms by which the hoist c-type lectins are able to induce cellular activation programs leading to a decreased response to pro-inflammatory TLR ligands. In particular, consideration taken to decipher which combination of type C lectins / galectins-TLR is required for a specific immune response. Could ligands / glycans derived from pathogens, could be used as adjuvants Th1 or Th2? An approach that would answer this question, is to address the interaction of antigens previously demonstrated with some protective activity of Leishmania sp. towards skin dendritic cells through their fusion to CLRs ligands in order to stimulate a specific immune response.
T cruzi amastigotes take over soluble intracellular pool of galectins.
LLC-MK2 cells growing onto glass coverslips were infected. After four days p.i., the cells were processed for immunofluorescence and stained with anti galectin 1 (A and B), galectin 3 (C and D).
|Last name||Name||Laboratory||Ext.*||Professional category|
|Bonay Miarons||Pedro||408||4509||pbonay(at)cbm.csic.es||Profesor Titular Universidad, GA|
|Martín-Portugues Rodriguez||Sergio||408||4509||Estudiante TFG|
|Noguera Oishi||Laura Ayaka||4509||Estudiante TFG|
- Aquilino, C., Gonzalez Rubio, M.L., Seco, E.M., Escudero, L., Corvo, L., Soto, M., Fresno, M., Malpartida, F., and Bonay, P. (2012) Differenti altrypanocidal activity of novel macrolide antibiotics; correlation to genetic lineage. PLoS One 7(7):e40901.
- de la Fuente, H., Pérez-Gala, S., Bonay, P., Cruz-Adalia, A., Cibrian, D., Sánchez-Cuellar, S., Dauden, E., Fresno, M., García-Diez, A., and Sánchez-Madrid, F. (2012). Psoriasis in humans is associated with down-regulation of galectins in dendritic cells. J Pathol. 228(2):193-203.
- Carneiro, M.X., Santos, D.M., Fukutani, K.F., Clarencio, J., Miranda, J.C., Brodskyn, C., Barral, A., Barral-Netto, M., Soto, M. and de Oliveira, C.I. (2012) Vaccination with L. Infantumchagasi nucleosomal histones confers protection against New World Cutaneous Leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania braziliensis. PLoS One 7(12), e52296.
- Valadares, D.G., Duarte, M.C., Ramírez, L., Chávez-Fumagalli, M.A., Martins, V.T., Costa, L.E., Lage, P.S., Ribeiro, T-G., Castilho, R.O., Fernandes, A.P., Régis, W.C., Soto, M., Tavares, C.A. and Coelho, E.A. (2012) Prophylactic or therapeutic administration of Agaricusblazei murillis effective in treatment of murine visceral leishmaniasis. Exp. Parasitol., 132, 228-236.
- Valadares, D.G., Duarte, M.C.m Ramírez, L., Chávez-Fumagalli, M.A., Lage, P.S., Martins, V.T., Costa, L.E., Ribeiro, T.G., Régis, W.C., Soto, M., Fernandes, A.P., Tavares, C.A. and Coelho, E.A. (2012) Therapeutic efficacy induced by the oral administration of Agaricusblazei Murill against Leishmania amazonensis. Parasitol. Res. 111, 1807-1816.
- Carlos Alonso, Manuel Soto, Laura Ramírez, Jerónimo Carnés, Marta Román. Molecule for treating an inflammatory disorder. Publication number: WO 2012/152792 A1 (15/11/2012).Laboratorios CBF LETI S.L. Unipersonal.
- Carlos Alonso, Laura Ramírez, Manuel Soto. The use of an L3 and/or L5 source as a vaccine or as a diagnostic for a parasitic disease. Publication number: WO 2011/058137 A1 (15/05/2011). Laboratorios CBF LETI S.L. Unipersonal.
- Manuel Soto, Laura Ramírez and Carlos Alonso. "Diagnosis of a parasitic disease such as leishmaniasis using ribosomal protein extracts (RPE)". Publication number: WO 2011/006891 A1( 20/01/2011). Laboratorios CBF LETI S.L. Unipersonal.
- Pedro Bonay Miarons ha sido nombrado representante español en “International Glycoconjugate Organization”.